All about me

This is a blog that is about everything and anything under the sun!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Death and its impact

Today, many students do not understand the true meaning of death and the impact it will cause on the people around them. They just laugh any time some one mentions about death.

Truth is, people can die at any age, and at any time. People have this general understanding that you have to live a ripe old age before one passes away. This is not true. A newborn baby might die instantly after it is born. It might even die in the womb of its mother. There are many deaths each day, just that nobody notices them. Deaths occur frequently. One might die drowning, others might die in a natural disaster, and some also suffer heart attacks.

One would only know the impact made by death only if they experience their loved ones dying. Just a few weeks ago, my close friend who was the same age as me passed away. Tee Yan Chyuan was the top student in my primary school with an aggregiate score of 284. 53 days after receiving his PSLE results, he passed away.

He was having a game of badminton with his sister and friends at the Tampines Sports Stadium when he decided to break for a drink. He was then found lying on the floor with no pulse.

A few days after he died, at 11:00 p.m. my ex-classmate from SHPS gave me a call, telling me that Yan Chyuan was dead. At first, I did not believe it and thought that he was joking. He explained the details to me, and I finally believed the shocking news. After hanging up, I told my parents the news. They told me that sooner or later, a person would die and comforted me. I then went to the bed and cried for a few moments at the lost of my close friend.

I would like anyone who reads this post to understand the meaning of death. If you ever thought that death would only befall the elderly or sick, think again. You might never know, you or your loved ones might just collapse one day.

A few weeks ago, I hardly understood a single thing on death. Now that I truly understand death, have you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Ng Wei Ron said...

critical thinking evident, but...
The impact of death wasnt really stated.
Good job.

In the way I feel about death, it is a passing event in life. Dont let deaath get you down. The more you drag on about it, the more you feel downcast. Always get back on your feet. Death is a hurdle, but we can go over it. Dont cry over spilt milk, ok this is a little too exaggerated but get the point.
Cheers!

March 10, 2009 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Jian Shun, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I read about the incident on the paper.

Yup death is a horrible terrible thing. We know it will come sooner or later but sometimes it is heartless enough to catch us by surprise. Hence the lesson learnt is to cherish everything and everyone you have now.

March 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger duel3 said...

Well, I have thought about Death many times a late night over the past few years.
Pondering the concept of Death, the reality, the pain, the surprise, the shock, the aftermath can be frightening.
Therefore, as Ms Soh has said, "cherish everything and everyone you have now" and to add on, "live each day as though it were your last", Death won't be too frightening then, even though it will be lingering around every now and then.

I think your friend, Yan Chyuan, would be happy to know that he has such a caring friend like you. Hope you will get over his passing soon but still keep him in your heart.

March 13, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home